Stories from my 14-month study abroad in Buenos Aires, my 16-month post-college move to Miami, and my get-me-the-hell-out-of-Miami move to Denver

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Terminals and Waiting

After a four hour flight with a bunch of Notre Dame spring breakers and a stiff vodka con jugo de naranja, I've finally made it to my gate for Buenos Aires. Navigating the Mexico City International Airport was quite the task. However, using my broken Spanish and an innocent "estoy un poco perdido," I found my way. I enjoyed a Mexican cigarette outside and the weather was gorgeous, probably around 75 degrees. The taxis were zooming by and a wave of happiness washed over me. I'm only one more flight from my new home for the next nine months. My host family is happily awaiting my arrival and I can't wait to land at Ezeiza and take a taxi to my new apartment.

As people slowly start filling in around me in the waiting area, I'm starting to hear quite a bit more Castellano. The LL's have went from "Yah" to "Shh," and I love it. I'm getting super tired so, with any luck, I'll be able to get a couple hours of sleep on the airplane . Tomorrow the adventure truly begins.

No comments: