Stories from my 14-month study abroad in Buenos Aires, my 16-month post-college move to Miami, and my get-me-the-hell-out-of-Miami move to Denver

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Pues, Estoy Aca! "Well, I'm Here!"

I've finally planted my roots in Buenos Aires, Recoleta to be exact! It's phenomenal here! The weather is gorgeous; it's currently about 75 and breezy at 12:40 AM, the women are gorgeous; I finally believe what the guide books have said, and the accent is smoooooth.


I arrived at Ezeiza, the international airport, at around 11:30 on Sunday and took a 35-minute cab ride to the city. We went past one pretty large Villa Miseria and through neighborhoods of all shapes and sizes. I arrived in Recoleta and found my apartment. I live with Silvia, a very grandmother-ish figure and her older, read Dad's age, son. He's about 45 or so, and very helpful with neighborhood questions, etc. After dinner, more about that later, he and I always talk for about a half hour over cafe y cigarillos.


Dinner. So, we were told that many of the host mothers are of italian heritage and love to feed their host children. Nothing could be more true. We had gnocci on Sunday, it's a custom of have it near last day of the month. Tonight we had meatloaf with stewed onionsand mashed potatoes. I asked if it was hamburger and I think Silvia was insulted. After further inspection, I think it was fresh meat ground in the house with something like a cheese grater. Either way, it was damn tastey! After dinner, there's always a small cup of casera chocolate mousse. Also very tastey.

Sin embargo, it's getting late and I need to get to bed. I have spanish class at 9AM.

Chau


How about this view out my bedroom window!






Capital Federal, Buenos Aires, Argentina

2 comments:

I. William Celing said...

Wow, finally there! I can't wait for the first installment of the fotoblogedia de Buenos Aires.

Sounds like you have a god host fam to begin your adventure with. Nothing like a little fatherly advice on your first big trip!

Love ya P, have a blast.

-Ian

Anonymous said...

oh tuki, so good to hear that things are going well for you! i'm so happy for you!!! i knew things would work out just fine! how have your classes been going? yeah, as you're finding out, just about everyone (latinos) lives w/their parents until they get married... even if they are big time business people, they still kick it in their childhood bedroom. hahaha, it still cracks me up sometimes.