Stories from my 14-month study abroad in Buenos Aires, my 16-month post-college move to Miami, and my get-me-the-hell-out-of-Miami move to Denver

Thursday, March 27, 2008

El Paro Del Campo

I'll tell you what, this strike is getting pretty insane! Tuesday night, the crowds marching in downtown were only a couple hundred. Last night, a couple thousand people from each side, the government and the farmers, marched in downtown. Tonight, I've heard rumors of over 100,000 people planning to march at the Plaza de Mayo and the Obelisk. It's insane, and the president said today that she won't budge on her policy of this export tax on agricultural products. She made a statement today saying, "the protesters for the farmers are of absolutely no importance." This definitely riled up the protesters.

Tomorrow, I'm going to bring my camera with me and take some pictures of butcher shops and supermarkets. Literally, the entire meat section is empty, or about 90% empty, and at the current rate, it'll be empty by the weekend.

Argentina without meat is like the separation of church and state in the US...it just doesn't happen!


Capital Federal, Buenos Aires, Argentina

No comments: