Stories from my 14-month study abroad in Buenos Aires, my 16-month post-college move to Miami, and my get-me-the-hell-out-of-Miami move to Denver

Saturday, March 8, 2008

My First Night Out

What a week it's been! I've been super busy lately doing all my IES stuff and getting to know all my classmates. There are around 120 IES students all together and so far, I haven't really met anyone that I can't get along with. We're all in the same boat here. Some are in the dorms, some are in homestays. Either way, we're all new to the city and we're all super ready to explore and learn all about it. For the first two weeks we have orientation and spanish classes. These are just to teach us the customs and all the other differences with the Rioplantense spanish. These include the use of "Vos" instead of "Tu," the lack of political correctness, and the SHH sound of "LL."

On political corectness, there isn't any. If you're overweight, your nickname is gordo/a, if you're black it's negro/a, it you're skinny, flaco/a, have a big head, cabezon, etc. Nothing is off-limits. Seeing as I have quite the big schnoz, I'm sure my nickname will be somewhere in the nariz area.

Tonight is the first night that I'll actually be going out. I had drinks the other night and we got home at 2, quite early. It was a school night and we didn't want to be out too late. It's 9:37PM now and I'm about to take my pre-club nap. Tonight, we'll meet up aroud 12:30 and get to the nightclubs at around 1 or 1:30. We're all expecting to get home around 6-8AM, and this is quite normal. My host mom, Slyvia, who's probably around 65, played cards with her friends until 3AM on Tuesday! Everyone stays out super late and gets up at the same time as we do in the US. I'm starting to think that all the talk in the US about getting your sleep is a crock. They sleep less, smoke more, and everyone seems fine to me.

Cigarettes and espresso make Argentina go round!


I'll write tomorrow about how the night went.


Capital Federal, Buenos Aires, Argentina

No comments: