Stories from my 14-month study abroad in Buenos Aires, my 16-month post-college move to Miami, and my get-me-the-hell-out-of-Miami move to Denver

Sunday, May 4, 2008

El Superclasico

So today is the day....El Superclasico. This is when Boca Juniors plays River Plate. This is the biggest game in Argentine soccer and the city is ready. EVERYONE supports either Boca or River, and if you ask, they'll let you know exactly why the other team is a piece of shit. The other night a girl taught me a little of one of songs that River sings against Boca, and one of the lines was in the area of "you're filthy people that clean your ass with paint thinner." River's name for Boca fans is the equivalent of a person who cleans up horse manure. Boca's names for River are Los Millionarios because River is the rich man's team, and also Las Gallinas, which means chicken.

Anyways, the weather is gorgeous and it's going to be a great game. I'm about to leave and find a place to watch it. Hopefully with friends in a bar where there are fans from both River and Boca. I would like to go to the game in live but I didn't get tickets early enough, and scalpers are pricey too.

Un Abrazo


Capital Federal, Buenos Aires, Argentina

No comments: