Stories from my 14-month study abroad in Buenos Aires, my 16-month post-college move to Miami, and my get-me-the-hell-out-of-Miami move to Denver

Monday, April 21, 2008

It Just Clicks One Day...Right!

You've all heard it before. When you're learning a new language, one day it just clicks and it all makes sense.

LIES!

Don't let anyone fool you; this is a blatant lie. I, myself, believed it before coming down here. I just imagined that I'd be down here, hearing people talk Spanish all the time, and then one day, it would all click and I'd magically start speaking perfectly. Well...that's not how it works.

I've come to realize that this is going to be a long process. Each day I learn a little bit more. Maybe it's using a new phrase like "acabo de (I just...)" or maybe it's hearing a object pronoun in a sentence that I'd never noticed before. Whatever it may be, there isn't a click moment. I'm not angry at all the people who've written this or said this, I'm just confused about what language they learned. I'm guessing it was Pig Latin.

Anyways, I'm not worried. It's exciting to feel yourself learning new things and getting a little more confident with speaking. It's comforting to know that I can get my point across now. It won't sound like flowing Argentine prose, but at least my general idea will be understood. I must say that the coolest thing is when I'm reading a newspaper and I find myself at the end of an article, having understood it completely.


Here's a cool article about how your brain learns a language. It's quite comforting to know that even when I don't think I'm learning, my brain is working overtime to figure it out for me.


Capital Federal, Buenos Aires, Argentina

No comments: