Stories from my 14-month study abroad in Buenos Aires, my 16-month post-college move to Miami, and my get-me-the-hell-out-of-Miami move to Denver

Monday, December 8, 2008

South American Guidos?!?

Well, it's 8:14AM, and I got home from a LONG night bartending. If it would have been hip-hop, salsa, reggaeton, or ANYTHING worth dancing to...no big deal. However, it was Eurotrash techno night. The same continuous beat over and over and over. Every so often, I thought the DJ may have been putting the song on repeat, but then, all of a sudden, the mass of dancing people would all start singing along with the song, and if you know any techno, that pretty much means saying random sentences like, "Love love love love emotion emotion emotion emotion. Keep the beat bumping bumping bumping bumping."

Furthermore(susan), I was definitely not feeling the amount of Dude-ness in the air. I'm pretty sure I was privy to witness the mating rituals of the Argentine Guido. Lots and lots of men, buying overpriced champagne and mixing it with Speed(their version of Redbull), dancing(read shaking, or better yet, convulsing), a large majority coked out of their minds, wearing Armani Exchange shirts that say...ARMANI EXCHANGE in huge letters across the front, all clad in epilepsy inducing BLING jewelery, spazzing out alongside their equally drugged up, fake beasted, sunglasses at night, female counterparts. These people were, by all means, the epitomy of Club Rats. 35 year old men, in the above mentioned wardrobe, dancing nonstop, circling ladies on the dance floor. I imagine myself to be drinking a gin & tonic at a jazz club when I'm 35, not popping a bunch of exstacy and going fratting. Different strokes for different folks.

Luckily for me, this technofest only occurs once every three weeks, otherwise it's good reggaeton or cumbia, and you can actually talk to people over the music.

Patrick


on a sidenote, I actually have an interview tonight at an AMAZING restaurant/bar in a really great neighborhood of the city, Recoleta. It was my favorite place to go last semester when I lived two blocks away. Ambient lounge music the entire time and a good crowd demographic. I'll let you know how that goes.


PS- if you don't know what a Guido is, check out the following:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g245/errol_brownpants/guido12.jpg


Capital Federal, Buenos Aires, Argentina

1 comment:

MitchSalm said...

"epilepsy-inducing bling."

nice.