Stories from my 14-month study abroad in Buenos Aires, my 16-month post-college move to Miami, and my get-me-the-hell-out-of-Miami move to Denver

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

South Beach vs Miami Proper Personality Differences

April 27, 2011

One of the things that worried me before moving down here was that I read a lot about all these obnoxious, steroid-infused macho type guys and "I only care if he has money" girls. I wasn't looking forward to meeting these people, and luckily, I haven't. Why, you ask?

Because I don't live in South Beach. Plain and simple.

Given, I've only been here for a three months, but almost all of my experiences with people who live in Miami Proper have been good. Decent people from all walks of life, and all parts of the country, who've decided to live in Miami. Many of my coworkers are genuine Miami denizens, all having some Hispanic blood in them, be it Cuban or Puerto Rican.

The same does not go for my experience with people I've met who live in South Beach. Like my below post, the people, in my opinion, who live in South Beach, are in a league of their own, and not in a good way. This is where I've run into the jacked-up dude roaming the streets and the "if he's rich, I'm in" girls. But, these people aren't from Miami, and I wholeheartedly believe that they embarrass the true citizens of Miami. It's a shame that this city is mostly known for that small 20-square-block neighborhood.

So, to all you people out there planning on moving, and living, in Miami. Don't worry. People are nice here. They're genuinely interested in where you're from and why you chose to live in their city. Many completely understand the immigrant story of leaving your home for somewhere new. Don't believe what you've read about the "Miami" type. This type is, unfortunately, based on that sect of people who've infiltrated South Beach, not the great people who fill up the rest of South Florida.

---

January 22, 2012: My opinion of Miami has thus changed. Please see newest post.

1 comment:

DustinSBranham said...

Most ppl who visit Miami, such as myself, visit South Beach, Coconut Grove or one of the other very touristy areas. SB is definitely the most touristy. I have never actually seen the non-touristy parts of the city.

On a different note, as I was walking to the mailbox today, I couldn't help but marvel at how new and fresh everything was here in Charlotte. Being born and reared here in the Southern part of the country, I am accustomed to seeing a newness of life in the spring. The grass is at it's greenest, trees are that light, fresh green you only get from new leaves. Then I wondered if you get that in Miami, or is it always the same color green, aged green, since there isn't that same cycle of plants dying or going dormant each winter and then returning in the spring?