Stories from my 14-month study abroad in Buenos Aires, my 16-month post-college move to Miami, and my get-me-the-hell-out-of-Miami move to Denver

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day Off Bike Ride

Remember how I said I was going to update the blog on my day off on Saturday, well, I went for a LONG ride, probably around 40 miles, and when I get home, I was done. I laid on the couch and didn't move a muscle until the next morning.

The thing is, it wasn't supposed to be a long ride. I just felt like going for a spin, getting some Cuban coffee along the way, and enjoying the nice weather. However, I got into South Miami and the Coral Gables neighborhood, and the beauty of the neighborhood took over and I just kept riding. Every single time I turned a corner, I was greeted by another gorgeous boulevard, house, park, etc.

Unfortunately, I didn't follow my first rule of traveling...always carry your camera. After my year in Argentina, I learned that it's always wise to have a camera present, because you never know what daily occurrence might be photo worthy.

Fortunately, I had my Palm Centro cellphone, which has a camera. It's not the best, but I took as many pictures as I could, and I hope you can somewhat get a jist of just how beautiful this last ride was.

Chris, my roommate Julie's boyfriend, and I are going to go for a ride in another scenery-laden neighborhood today or tomorrow. It's down South, of course, and this time I'll remember my camera.



Coral Gables Street


 I have a strong fascination with houses covered in foliage


My bike path 


 Along with my "houses in foliage" fascination, I also LOVE Mangrove trees


 I stopped at a Home Depot. Only in "Northern Cuba" would they sell domino tables at HD :)


 Classic 1970s concrete public housing project. Neighborhood didn't seem to sketchy though



13th St SW, called Coral Way


Concrete Barrier Wall protecting a neighborhood. Don't know too much about these yet 


House, foliage, need I say more? 


 Lots of gorgeous canopy-covered streets in Coral Gables


The Historic Biltmore Hotel from afar 


At the front door 


Those same barrier walls from before


Mangrove trees...again. I never get sick of seeing them.


This picture doesn't nearly do this house justice. Just amazing up close

1 comment:

DustinSBranham said...

Its awesome that you see so much of Miami by bike. Forty miles must be a chore in that heat, too.

Miami trees seem to grow longer horizontally than vertically. Seems strange from a nontropicalist's perspective.

Awesome post. I really like to see the pictures, esp since they aren't the same postcard scenes we have all seen of Miami and Miami Beach a thousand times before.