Stories from my 14-month study abroad in Buenos Aires, my 16-month post-college move to Miami, and my get-me-the-hell-out-of-Miami move to Denver

Monday, March 16, 2009

Iguazu Falls

Anabel and I just got back from the bus station, and we´re officially going to Iguazu Falls this week!

We leave Wednesday at 2pm, and we arrive on Thursday morning at 8am. It´s about an 18 hour bus ride, but we are going in a really nice coach bus, so it´ll be all good. With maté and a couple good books and magazines, the time will fly. We are spending all thursday at the waterfalls, and then spending one night in what appears to be an amazing hostel. It got great reviews on Hostel World, so I guess we´ll wait and see. We´re then going to spend Friday doing the same thing. They say that after two days, there is really nothing left to see. The city is all about the waterfalls. So, in case it rains one day, we have another day to see the falls.

I´m super excited to go on my first big trip in Argentina. The classic study abroad student in Argentina arrives and immediately uses every weekend for bus trips to all the well-known tourist cities in Argentina: Calafate, Mendoza, Tucuman, Bariloche, Cordoba, etc. However, the majority of them will never venture out of their Buenos Aires neighborhood, be it Palermo, Recoleta, Belgrano, Barrio Norte, etc. They might go to La Boca, a southern neighborhood, but I can guarantee they only went their to see Caminito, the most touristy street in Buenos Aires. I chose to explore Buenos Aires(and the metropolitan area), and now, I can really say that I know the city pretty well. I´ve also went to the southern suburbs, where 95% of them will never venture. So, yes, I´m going to leave Argentina without knowing Bariloche and Cordoba, but I´ll know Buenos Aires, and that´s the very reason I came here.

Patrick





Capital Federal, Buenos Aires, Argentina

No comments: